Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My tail's lookin fat 'n furry!!

All right so I will cut through the suspense. It has become startlingly clear. You have all, over the past six months, been dying to know-- and the waiting is over, so take a deep breath -- that my True Squirrel Name is none other than Commander Furryface.

Thanks to the wonderful, bright, talented, hilarious, Ms. Cordula Maia Jeszke, we can all get in touch -- in mere seconds -- with our "inner squirrel." Cora shot me a link to the Cheeky Squirrel Network in an ecard today, a glorious website where services such as squirrel name inquiries come free of charge.

I was sitting here, stroking my tail, when I got suddenly very nostalgic and had to pull out my old family photo album. There are very few squirrels in Sénégal, though I have run across two hedgehogs, or hérissons, in my willage à la cité; hence, my feelings of bitter lonelyness, anxiety, and so on about grappling to define my inner squirrel in a West African context. You may remember the photo below from when Dan and I were still young, happy, and nut-loving. Oh how time flies.

My fur is softer. And at home I am older. But here I am younger. It is hard to be a twin squirrel in Sénégal.

More to come soon on selfless gifts to humanity such as squirrel names. Post me your business and spread the word!! Love, your good friend, Mr. Furryface. Squeek-squeek-squeekèn. Peace to my people.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Yes, it seems like only yesterday that we were sharing a dark and damp squirrel womb, in a dark and hollow tree stump...

You will probably also be surprised to learn that there are zero squirrels in New Zealand - imagine how alone I felt in the middle of the Pacific, my tail arched at an even greater and more acute/profound question mark.

Nuts!

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home